Bus driver detained in Nismes fatal accident

first_imgDead: Roger “Jerry” Waldron died after the minibus toppled and landed on himOne day after the horrific demise of a bus conductor involved in a road accident at Nismes, West Bank Demerara (WBD), the driver of the minibus has been taken into Police custody. Guyana Times was told by Police that the bus driver was arrested on Tuesday and taken to the Vreed-en-Hoop Police Station where he was said to be assisting with investigations.This newspaper understands that the man suffered cuts and bruises to his hand which also was said to be fractured. A Police source indicated that preliminary assessments indicated speeding was at play due to the impressions left by the bus on the Nismes Public Road.Conductor, Roger “Jerry” Waldron, 30, of Lot 57 Good Intent, WBD, died after the Route 31 minibus toppled at the Nismes Public Road, while negotiating through roadside mud on Monday night. The accident occurred around 19:00h in the vicinity of the Gafoors Nismes Complex, where the mud was temporarily moved to the roadside to facilitate ongoing drainage works.When this publication arrived on the scene just minutes after the accident, the minibus was seen laced with heavy mud on the wheels and in surrounding environs.Guyana Times was told that public spirited citizens assisted in rushing passengers to the West Demerara Regional Hospital where the conductor was pronounced dead on arrival. Reports also stated that 11 other passengers were injured. However, during the course of Monday, some of the injured patients were released.Walrdon’s mother had to be consoled by her daughter and other family members after porters carried off her son. This newspaper had reported that an injured teenager who was a passenger of the minibus had to be administered emergency oxygen due to her irregular breathing conditions.Recently, a number of persons including many children have lost their lives due to road carnage. Earlier this month, a Coverden, East Bank Demerara couple lost their two children after the car in which the father had been driving reportedly swerved from a dog and slammed into two parked vehicles at Blankenburg, WCD. The father, Mark Halley, had to be further admitted to hospital following heart complications he developed after hearing the news of the demise of the two children.last_img read more