Saudi pilot used gun loophole to buy murder weapon used in shooting at Pensacola air base

first_imgFBI(PENSACOLA, Fla.) — FBI looking into whether Pensacola naval base suspect watched mass-shooting videos Agents are combing through Mohammed Alshamrani’s electronic devices amid reports that he watched mass-shooting videos with friends before a deadly attack that left three dead.The Saudi military pilot who killed three people in a rampage at a Florida air base while in the United States for flight training obtained the gun he used by taking advantage of a federal gun law exception that allows foreign nationals to legally purchase weapons for hunting, authorities said on Tuesday.Mohammed Alshamrani, 21, a second lieutenant in the Saudi air force, purchased a Glock 9 mm pistol about four months before authorities said he allegedly opened fire inside a classroom at Air Force Base Pensacola on Friday, killing three U.S. Navy personnel and wounding eight other people before he was gunned down by Escambia County Sheriff’s deputies, according to FBI officials.Prior to the announcement by the FBI Jacksonville field officer, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called on the federal government to investigate the federal law that enabled Alshamrani to purchase the gun.“That’s a federal loophole he took advantage of. I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment — but the Second Amendment is so that we the American people can keep and bear arms. It does not apply to Saudi Arabians. He had no constitutional right to do that, for sure,” DeSantis said at a news conference on Sunday.Rachel Rojas, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Jacksonville field office and the lead investigator on the shooting, previously said Alshamrani “legally and lawfully” purchased the gun.The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives website says that under federal law “an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions.”Under one of the exceptions in the gun laws for “certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer,” Alshamrani was able to obtain a gun after first being granted a Florida hunting license, FBI official said.“The preliminary investigation into the firearm purchase has not revealed any information to suggest that the sale was unlawful,” the FBI Jacksonville field office said in a tweet.Alshamrani bought the handgun on July 20 at Uber’s Lock & Gun shop in Pensacola, a source familiar with the purchase told ABC News.Naomi Uber, the owner of the gun shop, did not deny the gun was purchased from her business but declined to comment Tuesday when spoken to by ABC News.ABC News’ Josh Margolin, Aaron Katersky and Rachel Katz contributed to this report. Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Uganda’s isolated patient tests negative for Ebola

first_imgonline image online imageUganda breathes a sigh of relief after results of a patient put on isolation come out negative for Ebola.“While this is good news, both health workers and the population should be on the alert,” said Dr Paul Onek, Gulu District health officer.The World Health Organisation (WHO) and Uganda’s Ministry of Health yesterday ruled out Ebola after blood samples from the suspected patient tested negative at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI), reports the Daily Monitor.“The results for the sample from Lacor Hospital are negative for the Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers: Ebola, Marburg, CCHF, RVF and Sosuga,” said Mr Innocent Komakech, WHO’s officer in charge of Disease Outbreak, Emergency and Preparedness.WHO will maintain close links with Gulu District in northern Uganda to facilitate preparedness and readiness to respond in case of occurrences.A woman was isolated in Uganda’s St Mary’s Hospital Lacor on Saturday after she developed symptoms similar to those of Ebola.Our first diagnosis was sepsis, but we needed to be very sure because it had turned out severe. The patient was bleeding a lot and we had to isolate her and take her blood sample to UVRI for confirmation whether it was Haemorrhagic fever or not,” said Dr Emmanuel Ochola, an epidemiologist at the hospital.The doctor further said that although the patient is doing better, she will continue her recuperation in isolation.last_img read more

Twins Sign Pair Of Infielders

first_img 360p Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Skip About Connatix V56892 The Minnesota Twins announced the signing of second baseman Jonathan Schoop and utility player Ronald Torreyes to one-year contracts.Schoop split 2018 between Baltimore and Milwaukee, hitting .233 with 21 home runs and 61 runs batted in. He was an All Star in 2017, posting a .293 average to go with 31 home runs and 105 runs batted in. About Connatix V56892 Auto (360p)center_img Torreyes appeared in 41 games with the New York Yankees in 2018. 1080p HD 1/1 720p HDlast_img read more

Windies could end near two-decade drought in India

first_imgCUTTACK, India,  CMC – West Indies face India in Sunday’s decisive third One-Day International knowing victory will see them end a near two-decade wait for a series victory on the subcontinent. The Caribbean side stunned the hosts by eight wickets in the opening ODI in Chennai before succumbing by 107 runs in the second match in Visakhapatnam last Wednesday.Should West Indies overcome the odds and beat India, the series will mark their first on Indian soil since Carl Hooper’s won a seven-match rubber back in 2002.With the importance of the contest looming large, however, West Indies head coach Phil Simmons sought to downplay its significance, pointing out that the current long term team building would continue even if they lost. “The thing is we’re trying to build something and the game tomorrow does not influence the direction in which we’re going,” Simmons told a media conference.“I think all the guys know we want to play our best tomorrow and even though we play our best, we might not win. We might now beat India but we’re trying our best to build something and continue going in the direction we’re going in.”Contrasting hundreds from Shimron Hetmyer and Shai Hope in the first ODI saw the Caribbean side overhaul a testing target of 288. Similarly, stroke-filled centuries by openers Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul in the second game, powered India to a massive 387 – their second highest-ever total against West Indies.And faced with a record run chase, West Indies stumbled to 280 all out, undermined by left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav’s second career hat-trick.Simmons said it was important to maintain discipline in their bowling right throughout the innings as this had cost the Windies dearly in the last game. “In the last match, we thought that 320, 330 would have been a good score to chase on that ground but in the last four, five overs we let them get away and that’s where we lost the game.”Much will depend on Hope, Hetmyer and Pooran all of whom have already posted big scores, but the spotlight will fall on captain Kieron Pollard who has managed just 35 runs from three innings since his return to ODIs.Pollard, like his opposite number Virat Kohli, suffered the indignity of a one-ball ‘duck’ in the last match and will be hoping to redeem himself quickly. A win will hand West Indies their first ODI series win over India in 13 years but Simmons said regardless of the outcome, he had been impressed with the way his side had challenged the powerful hosts.“They’re definitely the best team in their home conditions and for us to be playing the way we are and giving them a run, it’s great for us to see,” he said.last_img read more

Prince William, Duchess Kate reveal third child due in April 2018

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) — Prince William and Duchess Kate have announced their third child is due in April 2018.The new baby will join the couple’s older children, Prince George, 4, and Princess Charlotte, 2.“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to confirm they are expecting a baby in April 2018,” Kensington Palace said in a statement Tuesday.The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to confirm they are expecting a baby in April 2018. pic.twitter.com/jOzB1TJMof— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) October 17, 2017William and Kate, both 35, have not yet announced where Kate will give birth, but it is expected she will use the same hospital as with her previous deliveries. Both George and Charlotte were born at the Lindo Wing at St. Mary’s Hospital in London.Kensington Palace announced Kate’s pregnancy on Sept. 4 when she was forced to cancel a planned engagement as a result of hyperemesis gravidarum. Kate also missed George’s first day of school a few days later.Kate has gradually added royal engagements back to her schedule as she feels up to it.On Monday, Kate made a surprise appearance alongside William and Prince Harry at a children’s charity event. Kate, sporting a new hair style, danced with Paddington Bear on the platform of Paddington Station in London.“Her condition is improved, but the duchess does continue to be affected by hyperemesis gravidarum,” a royal aide told ABC News Monday. “She is making decisions day to day but is keen to do as much as she can.”Kate also attended a Buckingham Palace reception on Oct. 10 to mark World Mental Health Day.William and Kate were scheduled to go on a royal tour of Scandinavia later this fall. Kensington Palace announced today that instead William will visit Finland alone in November, a trip he will make at the request of the U.K.’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office.Kate will join William on an official visit to Norway and Sweden in early 2018, according to Kensington Palace.Earlier this year, William and Kate visited Poland and Germany with their children as part of a “Brexit” charm offensive as the U.K. negotiates its withdrawal from the European Union.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

FIFA World Cup 2018: These 2 teams have been represented at EACH WC Finals…

first_imgAdvertisement 8qrngNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs8w2l3dWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E9tt( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 2ugf1Would you ever consider trying this?😱bephCan your students do this? 🌚pm66Roller skating! Powered by Firework Serie A powerhouse Inter Milan and Bundesliga giant Bayern Munich will have the most happiest neutral perspective fans watching the World Cup Finals even though Italy and Germany do not feature in it. Both the sides of the 2010 Champions League final have had at least one player represent their team in the World Cup finals since 1982. Advertisement Here is the full list since 1982 :1982 – Italy 3-1 West Germany: Gabriele Oriali, Giuseppe Bergomi (Inter Milan), Wolfgang Dremmler, Karl-Heinze Rummenigge, Paul Breitner (Bayern Munich)Advertisement 1986 – Argentina 3-2 West Germany: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Inter Milan), Norbert Eder, Dieter Hoeness, Lothar Matthaus (Bayern Munich)1990 – West Germany 1-0 Argentina: Andreas Brehme, Jurgen Klinsmann, Lothar Matthaus (Inter Milan), Stefan Reuter, Jurgen Kohler, Klaus Augenthaler (Bayern Munich)Advertisement 1994 – Brazil 0-0 Italy (Brazil won 3-2 on pens): Nicola Berti (Inter Milan), Jorginho (Bayern Munich)1998 – Brazil 0-3 France: Youri Djorkaeff, Ronaldo (Inter Milan), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich)2002 – Germany 0-2 Brazil: Ronaldo (Inter Milan), Jens Jeremies, Thomas Linke, Oliver Khan (Bayern Munich)2006 – Italy 1-1 France (Italy won 5-3 on pens): Marco Materazzi, Fabio Grosso (Inter Milan), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich)2010 – Netherlands 0-1 Spain: Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan), Mark van Bommel, Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich)2014 – Germany 1-0 Argentina: Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Jerome Boateng, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller, Toni Kroos, Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich)2018 – Corentin Tollisso (Bayern Munich) Perisic and Brozovic (Inter Milan)Read also :Football : Griezmann gives a fitting reply to Belgian keeper Thibaut Courtois.2018 FIFA World Cup Russia shifts into the next gear as the tournament progresses through the knockout stages. Over 192 million viewers tuning in to Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) to catch the action Advertisementlast_img read more

Moving gesture of goodwill

first_imgBy KATHRYN BERMINGHAM EVEN from underneath a helmet, the smile on Harvey Peck’s face last Saturday morning was unmistakable. After…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Carpark shakedown

first_imgBy LACHLAN MOORHEAD A VICTIM has been left shaken after two men confronted him in the carpark of a Pakenham…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Weekend Galway GAA Results

first_imgSenior Football Championship finalCorofin 0-16 Salthill-Knocknacarra 0-11 County Junior Football Championship finalOranmore-Maree 4-16 St. Gabriels 1-7Division 1 football LeagueAnnaghdown 1-12 Mountbellew/Moylough 1-12St Michael’s 1-8 Cortoon Shamrocks 0-11Killanin 1-11 Tuam Stars 1-11St. James 1-12 Micheal Breathnach 0-9Division 2 football LeagueKilkerrin-Clonberne 0-14 Dunmore MacHales 1-9St Michael’s 1-13 Cortoon Shamrocks 0-15Caherlistrane 2-11 Moycullen 0-16Division 3 football LeagueCarna-Caiseal 3-10 Oughterard 1-8Glenamaddy 1-13 Oileain Arainn 1-11Junior A Football Championship West finalSt Michael’s 1-7 St. James 0-7Junior B Football Championship North finalKillererin 1-6 Tuam Stars 0-7Junior C Football Championship North semi finalPadraig Pearses 2-13 Glenamaddy 0-5Division 8A North semi finalDunmore MacHales 3-11 Claregalway 0-8Minor B North Football Championship finalGlenamaddy 7-12 Tuam Stars 0-3 FOOTBALL RESULTS:center_img HURLING RESULTS:Intermediate Hurling Championship finalAhascragh Fohenagh 2-15 Ballinderreen 0-8Minor A Hurling Championship finalClarinbridge 2-22 Kilnadeema-Leitrim 0-8Junior A Hurling Championship quarter finalsMeelick-Eyrecourt 4-9 Sylane 0-13Craughwell 0-18 Gort 1-14print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Emaillast_img read more

UWSP at Marshfield coach, athletes receive All-Conference awards

first_imgBy Hub City Times staffMARSHFIELD – The Wisconsin Collegiate Conference (WCC) has announced its 2018-19 basketball All-Conference players and awards, with several Marshfield program members honored.In the men’s program, Jack Bezlyk, Spencer, received first team All-Conference, while Jared Seemann, Colby, received second team All-Conference. Trey Rau, Colby, and Darren Kieffer, Auburndale, received honorable mention.Bezlyk was also named West Player of Year. Jared Ystad received the West Coach of the Year award.For the women’s program, Emily Shipman, Medford, received second team All-Conference.last_img read more